Saturday, May 14, 2011

Another Parenting Milestone Met

As soon as I reached the top of the stairs, I thought to myself: "Wait. Did I just leave Caleb at the table with a pair of scissors?" I rationalized that he was working on the project I had given him and was probably fine.

But then the nagging thought came, "But this is not an ordinary child: this is Caleb."


I turned around just in time to see him reach for a random bunch of hair on the top of his head and open the mouth of his scissors. In one of those slow motion moments, I half-ran, half-fell down the flight of stairs saying, "NOOooooooooooooooooo!" just as Caleb's scissors took their final position and Snip. Snip.


I showed him the hair he had cut off and he was pretty bummed. But Caleb doesn't stay down too long. Before long he was smiling again.


I took some pictures and was reassured by the fact that it could have been A LOT worse. And frankly, I thought one of my kids would have cut their hair off years ago.

Then I broke the news to Christopher. "Dear, I wanted to congratulate you. We have met another parenting milestone! #134-- Child cuts off their hair. Isn't that awesome?"

He did not think it was as awesome as I did, but was grateful the damage was minimal.

Postscript: Caleb has since informed Christopher that his hair is-- and I quote-- "disgusting" and he plans on shaving it all off. Chris admonished me to keep a close eye on him.

Now if only I could find my scissors...

Matthew wanted his picture taken too. Thanks for that, son. "Child sticks out their tongue for every photo opportunity." Is that on the list of parenting milestones too?

No comments: