Monday, March 31, 2014

Sneaky RSV

 Wednesday, March 26, 2014- Picture this scene: Chris comes downstairs. He shoves his hands in his pockets and rocks back and forth on his heels.

"Sorry for kissing you a minute ago," he says with a sheepish look on his face. "That was the hospital. I have RSV...and I need to be at the hospital in a couple hours...and stay for 5 days..."

Doh!


What a shock. That morning we had been eating breakfast, chatting nonchalantly about Spring Break. Chris wanted to take the kids on a small vacation. And he thought he might be starting to get a cold. "Be sure and mention it at Clinic," I said. He agreed. 

He went to Clinic and submitted to the Clinic's routine nose catheter suck-your-snot test. Then he came home and started work. Everything was fine.

Two hours later I was at the nurses station, with little Isaac in my arms, Chris standing nearby with his suitcase. Things change so quickly in our new reality. "If it gets in his lungs, it can be fatal," one nurse said, leaning her head close to mine. I knew that. But I appreciated the candor.

Thankfully the Clinic caught Chris' RSV before it got into his lungs. Every day he had six hours of "tent treatments." His schedule went like this:

5:30 a.m. Chris wakes up and changes into hospital clothes
6-8 a.m. Chris sits in a tent and breathes in his medicine-- something that stops the RSV from replicating
8-8:30 a.m. Shower, change clothes
Break
1:30 p.m. Prepare for treatment
2-4 p.m. Tent treatment
4-4:30 p.m. Shower, change clothes
Break
9:30 p.m. Prepare for treatment
10-midnight Tent treatment
12:30-1:00 a.m. Shower, change clothes

The treatment is kind of dangerous for . . . people, especially those in my demographic, so the hospital discouraged me from visiting. At all. I was still open to visiting, but Chris had the final say. After the hose leaked out of his tent and contaminated the room, he said, "Nope. Not worth the risk."

The kids and I stayed in contact via phone and e-mails. Unexpected separations take their toll on all of us, but we found some fun ways to celebrate Daddy's Homecoming.


Caleb got some good rabbit snuggles from Gracie, the world's largest Sumo Bunny.


The boys helped me pick out some flowers to brighten the homecoming.


Matthew did some air guitar on the watering can, but also wanted Dad to know he loved him.


Caleb didn't understand why we couldn't have a water gun fight; it was sunny...and all of fifty-five degrees.


Isaac delighted in silliness.


So thankful to Verla, one of my visiting teachers, who answered a prayer I hadn't even uttered. She offered to watch the boys at home while I got Chris. I was so grateful! It took several hours to get Chris checked out and home.


Every time I walk out of the hospital with this guy by my side, I thank Heavenly Father for another miracle. So happy to be home together again.

No comments: