Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

Dinner was not ready when Chris came home on the 13th. No, when he walked in, I was helping the boys prepare 60 valentines. Thank goodness for grilled cheese sandwiches.

I learned more about Matthew's classmates in one hour of preparing Valentines, than five months combined. I didn't realize that Matthew had established a hierarchy of kindness. He'd always told me that all the kids in his class are nice and that they love him. But when it came time to write names on cards, each boy and girl was given a certain valentine, depending on their level of niceness. The nicest girls got the swirly hearts valentine and the coolest boys got the UR2COOL valentine.

No detail was overlooked. Boys got the red gummy treat and girls got the purple gummy treat-- except for the boy who likes pink and purple--he got a purple one. Matthew had made mental notes on each and every one of his 29 classmates and several neighborhood kids. Incredible. I love his attention to detail.

The morning of Valentine's Day. Time to get "spruced." Matthew chose his favorite red shirt, Caleb went with a button-up. Both requested superhero hairdo's. Caleb wanted a Superman look and Matthew opted for Spiderman. I gelled them up real good. They looked in the mirror, laughed, and decided that superhero hairdo's looked silly on them! They asked for the "regular Sunday hair" instead. Here are two of my Loves:


Caleb's lovin' on his Blankee. He claims SHE gets scared if he leaves her in the dark. (But he also claims that Blankee sometimes needs her rest during the day, because she's "nocturnal.") Seriously people, I'm shaking with laughter as I'm typing this.

Frankly, I was just glad that Isaac let me change his diaper and dress him without him screaming "NO!" and throwing his clean diaper across the room. It was like an early Valentine. Thank you, sweet boy.  I love it when you saunter into my dark room to the tune of your own theme music, throw out your chest and announce, "IT'S BEK-FAST TIME! Mommy coming too?" I love your cheesy smiles and the way you throw your arms around my neck for a morning hug.


Ah, Valentine's Day parties. Caleb comes in the house, dumps his coat and backpack on the floor, and says, "Today was AWESOME!" Then he pulls out his loot, spreading cards and candy and pencils across the kitchen table. And then he does something I least expect: he divides his plunder 50/50. One pile to give to his brothers, and one pile to keep for himself. And he wasn't keeping all the best stuff for himself, either. No, his 2 most prized pieces went to Matthew and Isaac.

As a special treat, Chris had gotten a doughnut for each of the boys. Isaac was very concerned that I didn't have one. "Mommy take a bite?" he asked, holding up his spongy doughnut. I took a nibble and immediately had offers from the other 2 boys to share their doughnuts. That's unfettered love, right there.

Yearbook duties got me into Matthew's classroom during his party (which is always an adventure when I'm literally dragging Caleb and Isaac along). The school kids were having so much fun--noise and games everywhere! I loved seeing Matthew erupt into giggles. By the time he got home, his Valentine's Day bag was ripped by the sheer weight and volume of Valentine treats and cards. (Didn't it used to be just cards and the occasional bag of conversation hearts?) He also shared his treats with his Mom and brothers--if we were behaving!


At Matthew's party, the kids wrote a poem about/to their Mom. I'm sensing a definite Food theme:

I really love it when my mom GIVES ME A COOKIE.
My mom likes to wear PURPLE SHIRTS.
She always tells me TO CLEAN MY ROOM.
And I really like it when she TAKES ME TO THE ACQUARIUM.
My mom is really good at COOKING.
Her hair is BLONDE.
It makes her happy when I GIVE HER A COOKIE.
I like it when she makes me TREATS.
Her favorite treat is [Chinese] DUMPLINGS.
If she could go on a trip she would GO TO DISNEYLAND.
She is the Best Mom in the world because SHE LOVES ME.
Happy Valentine's Day Mom! I love you. Love, MATTHEW

Thanks, Matthew!

Speaking of treats, Auntie Shauna stopped in to do my hair and brought some very special V-day treats for our family.

And the verdict from Isaac . . .


. . . is good!


Yes, Caleb, it broke my heart too, to eat such a lovely creation. (Licking my powdery fingers) But it was delectable . . .


Later, Chris and I had a Valentine's Day dinner and movie with the kids and then bedtime. Often our family is tired, grumpy, and whiny--even the adults, so when we have a magical day like this, I cherish it. Thanks, boys.

No comments: