Sunday, October 9, 2011

Soccer for Kids

I didn't record Caleb's first soccer game. To my dying day, this may be one of my greatest regrets.

In just 30 minutes, we witnessed one of life's greatest dramas played out in the form of 3-4 year olds with a ball on a field. There was laughter, tears, love, violence, bribery, cheating, betrayal, victory, defeat, and the acceptance or rejection of family members--all the elements of a great drama.

Alas, it will be a story untold.

As a consolation prize, I took some pictures at the boys' next games and have posted them with their MVL (Most Valuable Lesson) learned from Soccer.


Caleb's MVL from Soccer:

"DON'T WRESTLE."

We don't have any pictures of Caleb tackling players (including his own teammates) because we were too busy trying to get him to stop. I think we picked the wrong sport for Caleb who very playfully says he "just likes bashing!"


Caleb enjoys the social aspect of soccer. He often stops on the field to chat with players--or hug them--as you will see in the next photo.


Yes, Caleb, she is adorable. I know this is very innocent--So why do I feel like sitting you down and pulling out my For the Strength of Youth Pamphlet?

Caleb is not as concerned about running the fastest as he is about running like a SUPERHERO! I appreciate Caleb's reminder: stylistics are important.

And why kick a goal when you can just throw it in the net from the sideline?

Matthew's MVL from Soccer:

"Learning how to run."

Matthew doesn't always enjoy being outside and exercising.

[He'd much rather be inside researching dinosaurs because he's going to "build a deck, become a paleontologist, look at dinosaur bones on his deck, and give jobs to people."]

Ironically, he doesn't mind running.




Matthew has mastered the "no hands rule" and has fully adopted his coach's attitude of "what's most important is that we're having fun."


Chris and I really like this Stud Pose. Matthew was so excited to have his very own orange ball.


With two boys in soccer, we spend a lot of time on the sidelines teaching the kids how to cheer for Brother and entertaining one another between practices and games.


Isaac is a pro at Hide-and-Seek. He can always find his "Bruh-vers".

But it's not always easy to be on the sidelines--especially when it's nap time and you don't feel well! This is Isaac squawking at me. The pitch is a dead ringer for that cackling creature that hangs out with Jabba the Hut...Salacious Crumb.

No comments: