Wednesday, September 29, 2010

God Does Not Allow Tickling during the Sacrament


Caleb does things that make me laugh. Matthew says things that make me laugh.

Story #1: Trying to Be Like Jesus

One day I went to tell Matthew that Rest Time was over.

Me: Hey Buddy, how 'bout you clean up and come upstairs?

Matthew: OK!

Me: (noticing that he was lying on the floor) What were you doing?

Matthew: (picking up books) I was trying to be like Jesus...

Me: Oh, that's nice.

Matthew: Yeah...on the cross.

I think at this point I said, "Oh, OK." and then I ran upstairs so he wouldn't see my face.


Story #2: No Tickling, Please


Last Sunday Chris took a fussy Isaac out so he wouldn't disturb the Sacrament. I was very happy when my Caleb and Matthew got very snuggly (instead of whining about Dad's absence). I started to scratch Matthew's back the way my mom used to scratch my back during the Sacrament.

Matthew sat bolt upright and laughed, "Mom! That tickles!"

Me: I'm sorry. It wasn't trying to tickle you.

Matthew: Mom, God does not allow tickling during the Sacrament.

This was said at a 3-pew decible level. I am quite sure everyone sitting within a 3-pew range heard.

I tried not to laugh...out loud.


I am no longer surprised when people come up to Chris and I and say, "You'll never guess what Matthew said." He has a way with words and when he learns something, he gets it.


Story #3: Moses

One day Matthew wanted to learn a song about Moses. Since it was Monday and I hadn't prepared an FHE lesson, I taught the boys the song and then I pulled out some pictures of Moses from the Gospel Art Kit and read the synopsis on the back for him. When it was time for FHE, I gave Matthew the pictures and told him to share the stories with his Dad.

I thought I was going to have to feed him the words. He had only heard the stories once. But no, he did great. I'll never forget this one synopsis he told: "Look at my magic snake and you'll get better." Awesome. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Matthew is a treasure!! Keep capturing his special wisdom...

Ms. Karlyn said...

Oh Rebekah...have you not heard or seen Teague in Sacrament meeting? At least your son uses clean words...