Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bumblebee Blues


We were just leaving a friend's house when Matthew discovered something crawling on top on a decorative candy corn. Matthew now knows that touching a bee is a bad idea.

After the initial shock of the sting was over, Matthew asked, "But why did he sting me?" Big crocodile tears rolling down his cheeks. And for some reason, I was struck by his innocence and pureness of heart. 'Of course you would wonder that,' I thought to myself. 'Because you are three. Because you would never intend harm. Because you can't imagine anyone intending you harm.'

We spent the rest of the day talking about how animals defend themselves and watching a Curious George TV episode where George gets stung by a bee.

And at least once a day since the incident, Caleb will find me and say with a scrunched up little face, "Finger. Kiss it. Owie." And he holds up his finger and I kiss it and then he walks away, happy as can be.

After we put the kids to bed tonight, Chris and I sat down to enjoy the quiet evening hours together and we got to talking about how thankful we are that the boys are still small. They are little people and their problems are still little problems.

I am glad that my biggest trials are getting Matthew to nap and go to the potty before we run errands. I am thankful that when I have to correct Caleb, that I am correcting his propensity to disassemble things (like monitors and our printer) and eat things he shouldn't ("Please do not chew on the edge of the garbage can, Caleb!" "NO! Don't eat your poop!!!!")

Matthew and Caleb, I am glad that you are still small. And that you have an early bedtime. And that you still give hugs and kisses anytime I ask and even when I don't ask. I am glad that you help me with the dishes even though most of the water ends up on the floor. And I like it when you help me cook even when you feel compelled to use your bare hands to mix the batter. I am happy that Nursery and school time are still cool and that you are genuinely disappointed if you miss out on a night of family scripture study.

Matthew I love that you heap a pile of books on the couch and then say, "Mom want to read these to me?" and pepper me with "WHY" questions. Caleb I love that you follow me everywhere like a little puppy dog and sit on my lap and then do some crazy wrestler move (which knocks the wind out of me) and then look up at me, poke my eye ("EYE!") and flash those little dimples.

Little boys, tonight I am glad that you are still small.

Because you are still sweet even when you take a toy hammer to your brother's head.

Because you are still innocent though you run away and hide in Matthew's bed every night when it is time for bedtime routine.

Because you love with all your heart.

Because someday you will find out that a bee isn't the only thing that can sting.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Wendy said...

What a beautiful post. Add our hugs to Mommy and Daddy's for your two sweet boys.

Love you all to pieces... ♥♥♥♥

Debbie said...

I am so sorry that Matthew got stung by a bee! Please give it a kiss from us! What a fun journal you are keeping complete with pictures and all!